As of 4/23, the AICPA has announced that the CPA Exam will be considered an essential exam, meaning some candidates will be able to resume testing on May 1. It’s important to note that Prometric will be opening only in areas where deemed safe. The AICPA has announced that Prometric will be contacting candidates with already-scheduled test dates in May to confirm with them if their particular center will be open or not.
Surgent will be sure to communicate additional information as it is released by the AICPA, NASBA, and Prometric.
With the increase in measures taken to reduce the spread of COVID-19, Prometric has announced that they will further extend the closure of test centers in the U.S. and Canada through May 31st. in accordance with the changing local and federal governance and advice from the CDC and WHO. Earlier, this closure was expected to last until April 30th. This step is being taken to further protect the health and well-being of the individual test takers of all exams as well as Prometric staff.
Candidates can also schedule their exams on Prometric’s website. In anticipation of the reopening of test centers, an emergency testing period has also been invoked, extending the 2020 second-quarter testing window from June 10 to June 30 — before continuous testing is then rolled out in the third quarter of this year.
Alongside the extension, Prometric is also taking precautions to help ensure absolute safety within all Testing Centers. These include:
1. Allowing candidates to use medical masks and gloves while they are testing- these will be subject to visual inspection prior to the test starting.
2. Regularly cleaning high-touch surfaces (ex. test station keyboard keys, mouse, biometric touch chip device) and providing disposable wipes so that common surfaces can be wiped.
3. Regularly evaluating whether to close other testing centers with a close eye on specific government actions, including closing local offices, public spaces, and university campuses.
4. Enforcing social distancing practices throughout the check-in and testing process, per local guidance.
5. Providing all Prometric test center staff with protective masks.
As test center closures are made on a case by case basis as guidance and information comes out, they will be posted on the Prometric website at www.prometric.com/closures as decisions are made. The below countries are likely to experience actions or a potential closure, and exam candidates can check the site closure page to see the status of your test center.
- United Arab Emirates
- Saudi Arabia
- United States